The Countywide Transportation Plan (CTP) provides the overall direction for achieving and maintaining a balanced and functional transportation system within Contra Costa while strengthening links between land use decisions and transportation. The CTP outlines the Contra Costa Transportation Authority’s vision for Contra Costa and establishes goals, strategies, projects, and actions for achieving that vision.
2017 Countywide CTP Summary
With the final CTP adopted, we are now working on implementing the calls to action that our stakeholders and constituents asked us to undertake. The major projects include:
- New BART extension proposed from Antioch to Brentwood along with technology upgrades to enable BART and transit providers to better coordinate schedules, improve station access and amenities, and even optimize pricing to increase ridership
- Update the Countywide Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- Innovate I-680, which includes a suite of new features to improve the travel experience, such as:
- Increased High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) access
- Express Bus lanes on the highway shoulders to bypass congested traffic
- Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) technology to communicate information between vehicles and roadway management equipment
- Explore the role of autonomous vehicles and the infrastructure needed to support this new technology
- Interstate-80/State Route 4 connectivity improvements
- New transit options in West County such as express bus improvements in the I-80 Corridor and bus rapid transit upgrades on San Pablo Avenue
- Iron Horse Trail safety improvements at street intersections
In addition, the CTP plans for local and regional street improvements throughout the County.
Why Did CCTA Update the Plan?
The updated Plan helps to refresh Contra Costa’s transportation vision, goals, and strategies
The updated Plan ensures that the Authority re-calibrated, re-forecasted, re-positioned, and re-thought our transportation future based upon public input.
Measures C & J require that the Authority develop, adopt, and periodically update the CTP.